Intro to Cultural Anthropology Fall 2017
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
gagin

Frozen Charlotte Doll Empty Frozen Charlotte Doll

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 pm
Frozen Charlotte Doll 21850410

I inherited this doll from my grandmother and it was originally owned by her mother in 1910. Underneath the many, many skirts is a cloth body with porcelain limbs. Her face is small, her hair short, black and wavy. She rests in a doll carriage and has a homemade quilt (sewn by my great grandmother). According to my grandmother, when I was little I used to push the carriage around calling the baby "mine", hence why I now have it. I have no idea where the doll was made, there is no 'made in ____' label on the doll. The dress and the quilt are both hand sewn so the lives it affects are my great-great-grandmother's (who made the dress), the store owner she got the fabric from, the factory the store owner got it from, boiling down the chain to the person who planted the seed that grew the cotton that now is a dress on my doll. The same goes for the carriage, though my great-great grandfather was a very handy man, I don't believe he built the carriage himself. The same story goes for the quilt, great-grandma to store owner, all the way to the farmer. By purchasing the doll, fabric and carriage, my great-great grandparents were able to help feed, who knows how many people. As time has gone on, the story is now the main affect of the doll. Every time my grandma would tell the story her eyes would light up and she would smile talking about her mother and how I just loved the doll as a little girl. The doll is important to me, not just because it is mine but because it connects me to my grandmother who always had a story to tell.
aritenburgh

Frozen Charlotte Doll Empty Re: Frozen Charlotte Doll

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:29 pm
This is really neat! My great grandmother was also a collector of many dolls, and its nice to see one being sent down by generations. I sometimes wish my grandmother would have kept the collection. Do you also plan on sending this to your children or future children?