Intro to Cultural Anthropology Fall 2017
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
bhansen2

LG Portable Air Conditioner Empty LG Portable Air Conditioner

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:23 pm
This past summer, I bought an LG 10,200 BTU portable air conditioner in Lowes. I wanted this unit to cool my house down when it was hot and humid outside. I have slept so much better since I have had the unit. My boyfriend, my cat, and I benefit from this product.
LG headquarters is in Seoul, South Korea but my air conditioner's box says it is made in China. That makes me question, is the unit cheaper if it is built overseas or would it be more costly to make overseas and ship it once the tariffs were collected?  I also noticed how much we paid for our unit a few months ago compared to how much they are selling for now.
South Korea and China do use air conditioning units when it is hot out just like the US, but I do know that there are other countries who do not have this luxury. South Korea’s minimum wage is about $5.80. China however does not set a minimum wage. Instead, the wages are delegated by the local governments. Each region sets its own minimum wage in accordance with its own local conditions. This could be a reason why the air conditioner was made in China. The workers in China are not treated as well and do not seem to have fair wages than in South Korea or the US.

guthr1cl

LG Portable Air Conditioner Empty Re: LG Portable Air Conditioner

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:12 pm
This is actually really interesting. I know in the US a lot of states mandate their own minimum wages too, and even bigger cities, from what I understand NYC ($13/hour) has a higher minimum wage than NY state ($9.70). Do you think they could build this in a state like Alabama where minimum wage is still only $7.25?
bhansen2

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 am
I absolutely do! I think it could be beneficial overall. Wages will be lower than in other states and there would be less in shipping due to most sales being in the US than overseas.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum