Intro to Cultural Anthropology Fall 2017
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Jcotter

Alice pocketwatch necklace Empty Alice pocketwatch necklace

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:20 pm
Alice pocketwatch necklace 21740610

I recieved a small pocketwatch necklace inspired by my favorite children's book "Alice in Wonderland" from my sister and her husband. It is made from alloy and other metals and was manufactured in China. Since they bought it from Wish.com I know it wasn't very expensive, but I still really like it an it's design. However it makes me curious if it was so little to buy, then how much was  it to make and how much the people who made are are being paid. just something I thought about.
bhansen2

Alice pocketwatch necklace Empty Re: Alice pocketwatch necklace

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:29 pm
I wonder if the people in China actual understand or even know the story of this necklace. Do they know what Alice in Wonderland is? I know China does have their own Disney resort, but I am curious to see if the same story has carried over in their own traditions or is it exactly how we know it.
hgandy

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm
I love this piece! It's crazy how something so small and insignificant can travel across the world for us to purchase! I have heard of wish.com I wonder if they have a manufacturing plant of their own or if they buy from other retailers, do you think it provides a lot of jobs in china?
gagin

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 pm
As it was mentioned earlier, if those in China do know the story of Alice in Wonderland, I wonder if there is a variation of their own. It amazes me knowing that it probably took a dozen or so workers to make the necklace and to them it was just another piece on the assembly line but means so much more to you!
xiaobin wang

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm
In fact, many Chinese people know the story of Alice in Wonderland. This book is our primary school recommended reading book. Of course, more people know that may be because of the film over the past few years
dhager1

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:55 pm
Does the watch open to reveal any more detail?
Hmwatson

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 am
I really wonder how you could find out how much it costs to make and what the hourly wage of the workers who manufactured it is. Just curious, is there a way to maybe get this info or maybe a way to contact wish.com to find out at least what the materials are?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum