Intro to Cultural Anthropology Fall 2017
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
guthr1cl

TREK helmet Empty TREK helmet

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:09 pm
I bought a TREK helmet at the Crossfit games a few weeks ago and left my bike at home so I haven't worn it yet. This helmet was manufactured in China (just like everything else in the USA). I don't know anything about the people who made it. I can only assume they are just trying to make money to live. As soon as I start wearing this helmet, the impact will be to (hopefully) save my life in the event that an accident happens.
bhansen2

TREK helmet Empty Re: TREK helmet

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 pm
Yes, helmets are designed to save one's life, but is this particular helmet credited to a certain standard? I know motorcycle helmets are rated by department of transportation (DOT).
Jcotter

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:24 pm
So then what kind of materials were used to make the helmet? Were they more easily obtainable for the ones making it, or was it more difficult?
brandonklim

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 pm
Do the CrossFit games require certain helmets to participate?
guthr1cl

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:02 pm
The CF Games would be sponsored by TREK so I guess they would require their participants to use them, but they are provided to them. The CF games are basically the Olympics in the Crossfit world, so anything the participants receive are because they have to represent their sponsors.

The helmet is made of plastic and styrofoam from what I can tell. I'm sure that the people making these things are provided the materials they need to make them, but if they didn't work for a company I don't think it would be hard to find plastic and styrofoam.

Off the top of my head I know they test them by dropping dummies on their head perpendicular to the ground so that the weight of the dummie is at it's peak as opposed to falling at an angle, the weight of the person would be less. I'll have to find the instructions to know specific answer to that question. Their website is impossible to navigate.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum